Sunday 6 May 2012

Shibori


I felt quite inspired by this offering by Akira at Sydney Fashion Week this week, it had me rereading my much loved Shibori book.  

I have not really tried my hand at Shibori since university but I find it to be such a magical resist dyeing technique.  
  

Here are a selection of some of the wonderful effects that can be achieved with Shibori dyeing 


This board clamping technique is one I have tried; it is simple to fold. See the below illustrations showing the folds, once clamped in the boards ( elastic bands work well to hold it in place) just dip it in the dye and leave to dry.  When dry, take apart the board, unfold and enjoy the magic.


This silk  Kimono "Pampas Grass' 1977 is just beautiful

Silk Kimono detail. 1978 , just amazing


Shibori The Inventive Art of Japanese Shaped Resist dyeing by Yoshiko Iwamoto Wada, Mary Kellogg Rice and Jane Barton



No comments:

Post a Comment