Tuesday 15 May 2012

Waratah as Art

I had a wonderful mothers day on Sunday, although I didn't get that sleep in I was hoping for the little ones were very beautiful excitedly handing me their gift; a wonderful book 'The New Artisane' by Oliver Dupon.  

I was up late the night before painting some art for a gift to my mum. It has been a very long time since I attempted a large painting and I only had one piece of recycled paper, some poor quality paints and some brushes which I think Jasmine has chewed on at some point, so considering the obstacles I was happy with the result.
I based the artwork on one of my embroidery designs.   I always paint the designs for my wallet artwork to scale then scan them into the computer to refine for the embroidery machine.  To scale the artwork up I made the image the size I wanted then printed it in sections 

Using my trusty light box I penciled in the lines I need to follow during painting


I choose the colours to go with the rug in my mothers hallway, mum has been asking me what to put on the wall to tie the room together so my hope was that this painting could do that job.




I had planned to make the colours gold, burgundy and orange but somewhere along the way the orange became pink.... 



The finished work!


Oliver and Jasmine were so excited to give such a big gift, it took all three of us to carry it to 'Nanny' 


Mum was really happy with it, it looks great with the style of the house.  I feel quite inspired to paint more pieces and see were I can take it


Hope you had a great mothers day, mum 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment